Phase 1 reconstruction and alterations underway at each school building
Although classes were out for the summer, each of Glens Falls’ school buildings were abuzz with activity in July and August. Renovations and repairs are underway as part of the district’s current capital project, approved by voters in May of 2017.
The $17.5 million project focuses on a variety of structural, infrastructure, and parking improvements. Major items include boiler and/or roof replacements at every building, improvements to drop-off and pick-up points at Jackson Heights and Kensington Road elementary schools, gym floor replacements at Big Cross elementary and the High School, and a 21st Century Learning Environment for students in the High School.
The project has been divided into two phases, with the bulk of repairs and equipment replacements happening in the summer of 2018. The summer of 2019 will bring gym floor replacements, and construction of the elementary drop-off areas and the High School’s 21st Century space.
Specific items included in the Phase 1 work (summer of 2018) include:
- High School: Demolition of the third floor science classrooms (which will become the 21st Century Learning Space) and asbestos abatement therein; Roof replacement over the pool; Asbestos abatement in various areas of flooring tile; Ceiling replacement on the 1st and 2nd floors to include drop ceilings and new lighting.
- Middle School: Roof replacement over the gym; Ceiling replacement on the 1st and 2nd floors to include drop ceilings and new lighting.
- Big Cross Elementary: Replacement of three windows; Asbestos abatement in various areas of flooring tile.
- Jackson Heights Elementary: Asbestos abatement in crawl space
- Kensington Road Elementary: Replacement of front doors; Replacement of cafeteria doors; Roof replacement over the gym.
- Sanford Street School: Roof replacement and asbestos abatement
- All buildings: Installation of safety glass film on windows