It is the policy of the Glens Falls City School District to maintain a learning and working environment that is free from sexual harassment. No employee or student of the District shall be subjected to sexual harassment.
It shall be a violation of this policy for any member of the Glens Falls City School District staff to harass another staff member or student or visitor to the District through conduct or communications of a sexual nature as described in the Definition section. It shall also be a violation of this policy for students to harass other students, staff or visitor to the District through conduct or communications of a sexual nature as described in the Definition section.
Each administrator shall be responsible for promoting understanding and acceptance of, and assuring compliance with, state and federal laws and Board policy and procedures governing sexual harassment within his or her school or office.
Violations of this policy or procedure will be cause for disciplinary action.
Sexual harassment means unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:
1. Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of a person’s employment or advancement or of a student’s participation in school programs or activities;
2. Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an employee or student is used as the basis for decisions affecting the employee or student;
3. Such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an employee or student’s performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work or learning environment.
Sexual harassment, as set forth in Section II-a, may include, but is not limited to the following:
1. Verbal harassment or abuse
2. Pressure for sexual activity
3. Repeated remarks to a person, with sexual or demeaning implications
4. Unwelcome touching
5. Suggested or demanded sexual involvement accompanied by implied or explicit threats concerning one’s grades, job, etc.
Any staff person who alleges sexual harassment by a staff member or student in the School District may use the procedure detailed in the Glens Falls City School District Grievance Procedure or may complain directly to his or her immediate supervisor, building principal, or District Title IX Coordinator. Filing of a grievance or otherwise reporting sexual harassment will not reflect upon the individual’s status nor will it affect future employment, grades, or work assignments.
B. The right to confidentiality, both of the complainant and of the accused, will be respected consistent with the School District’s legal obligation to investigate misconduct and to take corrective action when this conduct has occurred.
A substantiated charge against a staff member in the School District shall subject such staff member to disciplinary action, up to and including the possibility of discharge.
A substantiated charge against a student in the School District shall subject that student to disciplinary action that may include suspension or expulsion, consistent with the student discipline code.
Notice of this policy will be circulated to all schools and department of the Glens Falls City School District and incorporated in teacher and student handbooks. Training sessions on this policy and the prevention of sexual harassment shall be held for teachers and students in all schools.